When you get a SMS that seems odd, just hit the delete button.
Do not reply.
- Lottery winning messages are scams. Irrespective of whatever information is asked for, or, how authentic the email address and phone number seem, don't be fooled.
- Even basic information like your name, address, phone number and email address can be misused.
- Job offers through mobile messages are frauds. Do not contact the sender or click on the sent link.
- Free electronic goods won are scam messages. Once you pay the service tax charges to the given account, you will never hear from the fraudster/s again.
- Messages with bank links looking like a real website and claiming to be security upgrade procedures, are phishing attacks to get your personal information like account details and password.
- Complain to the cops. The higher the complaints registered, the easier it is for them to track and shut down fraud rings.